Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Why Bosnia?

 As most of you know, I've pulled up all my roots and relocated to Bosnia. The most common question I'm asked by Americans and Bosnians alike is 'why Bosnia?' I am incredibly thankful and lucky that I was able to find a job in my career field directly after graduation. 

It honestly began in February 2024. I was applying to summer festivals (read; political monetary vultures) as any good music student does. I applied for four this year, seems to be the number I lean towards. One I know I'll get into, a reach, and some fun ones, possibly someone I'd like to study with. I was denied from all of them. Now keep in mind, if you yourself are in this situation, many people need double reed players to fill holes as summer approaches. This is how I've obtained many of my festival experiences but this year it just didn't work out with scheduling (thank you so much Robyn for your support and continuous invitations!) 

I didn't have a job at the time or even lined up post graduation, my plan was to continue teaching lessons and hopefully obtain enough students, opportunities, and gigs to support myself for a year until I applied to DMA programs. With continual denial from festivals, jobs, conference applications I was beginning to worry. I reached out to Dr. Scott Pool and asked if he still had room in his summer festival TALIS, located in Sarajevo Bosnia. In fact he did (it was an affordable entrance fee and experience!).

While I was at TALIS Dr. Pool and I were speaking one day about an internship that used to exist with the Sarajevsko Philharmonika. They would house and pay for a few American students of needed instruments (i.e. bassoon, oboe, horn) to come and play for a year. I asked if this was still running and if I could gather more information on it. 

The next thing I know, the principal bassoonist of the philharmonic is at one of our concerts. He finds me and says 'you're interested in internship? We don't have that anymore since covid. I need second bassoon, I've heard your recordings, you want job?' 

Of course I said yes. 

I sold everything I owned to buy my bassoon this summer. I sold my car, my couch (iykyk), my bikes, most all of my furniture that Michael would't need, reeds and extra bassoon supplies. I had nothing. I lived with my parents (thank you for always letting me sneak back in when life gets a little crazy) and had no plan for the next year. In fact, I was wondering when I pull the plug and rent an apartment in Lansing to be closer to my students... Ironic. 

I packed my life into two suitcases (def. should have done more) and moved across the world to an adorable city that I was only semi familiar with and did not speak the language. I've left my dog and my family back in Michigan which breaks my heart but I know this is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. 

I currently play with the philharmonic when scheduled (I tend to have lots of time off, so if you've got book recommendations or would like to grab a digital coffee, I'm in!) I teach my students online (10p my time, but they're all so great about practicing and showing up on time! Its truly so fulfilling to spend time with them each week). I take Bosnian class once a week and am learning how to not be in school. What a wild thing. I have free time. I started doing yoga and RUNNING FOR FUN... I look forward to practicing fundamentals more than anything (still learning new bassoon). I've found a ski mountain to volunteer at this winter. I consume SO. MUCH. BREAD and espresso its truly glorious. Yet at the same time when I do my doom scrolling at night I do still feel a little displaced, watching American based tick-tocks and what my friends and family are doing in their daily lives. 


What am I listening to this week: anything Christopher Tin

Play some long tones <3 

EM

No comments:

Post a Comment