Saturday, October 20, 2018

Fall break

This year Western implemented a new 'fall break' which seems like a great idea but I'm either not used to it yet or am just unsure. Its really nice because I can use this time to take work orientation (Thursday and Friday 8a-3/4p) and not miss school as well as take on multiple playing gigs further away from Kalamazoo. BUT! We had to start school a week early and thats exactly the same week that IDRS held their conference in Spain and of course I wasn't going to miss that! So I ended up missing a week of school (syllabus week.... woohoo!) but unfortunately I feel SUPER unproductive during this break. It definitely doesn't help that I've been eating like crap lately too. My friend that I carpool to Elkhart with has us stop at McDonalds after every rehearsal, its quite humorous but my tummy hurts! Tomorrow is our last rehearsal, last McDonalds stop hopefully and concert.

I'm really honored and excited with my opportunity to be able to play with the Elkhart Symphony and Orchestra, they contacted us in need of bassoons and we were able to carpool and make it work. But they've welcomed us quite warmly and have an amazing concert planned (this is probably the most excited I've been for a concert in a long time).

On top of that I am subbing in Academy Street Winds at Kalamazoo College, and funny enough there are a few of the same pieces in this folder as well. Another great ensemble I am lucky enough to play with.

I also just started my job as a barista, I completed work orientation last week and am starting my hands on training this upcoming week. I'm also super pumped to work for Greenleaf, they have so many benefits and really treat their employees with care.

On the down side, our heat is out.... still..

Its been an on and off battle for a few weeks now, ever since it got cold out. Theres an inside portion of the heater that's broken and  the heating company that our landlord goes through is super backed up and slow so apparently that means we don't get heat for a bit... I'm pretty worried about my horn and my cat, tipsy. I know its in its case and it should be fine but at what point does it become too cold for a bassoon? (tipsy has a full coat of hair, she has some insulation)

Don't practice too hard,
2 1/2 hours and a GIANT puddle of spit on my floor

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment