Monday, October 1, 2018

Hello,

I haven't spoken in a while and a TON has changed! I am now a junior in college and things should be going swimmingly.... they're not!

ITS HECKIN HARD YALL

But I get to play bassoon every day and that's pretty cool. I was going to play the Hindemith sonata this semester because.. honestly... it sounds pretty :) but today in studio another kid played the first movement really well and its just awkward having two people of the same college studio play the same piece. We are all human and we have natural tendencies to compare and think that one has to be better than the other (plus I JUST started practicing it - will explain later) So I decided to pick a new piece. YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT!! and my friend recommended this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9krUOeXwMdk (this is the first movement out of three).

ISN'T IT AMAZING?! So I'm definitely going to switch to this, I ordered it today and even with my Honeybee coupons it was still $30... but I think its totally worth it.

Touching back on why I JUST started practicing for my solo this year. I am auditioning for the Battle Creek Symphony Orchestra on Friday... this ... Friday.... I'm not so nervous as I'm looking at this as an experience thing either way. If I get in, cool I get to play with one of my most favorite people, and I get paid to play bassoon. If I don't get the job; thats okay I still got to go through audition preparation guided (somewhat) by an instructor, or a few ...  ;) and its great experience in general and begins to put your name out into the bassoon world.

But drum corps kicked my butt this summer and I was so happy to go back to school and a normal life... oh wait... I don't have or even remotely know what that means with my 7am warm ups and such. I'm always going, I will never understand how some people just have days and days to lay around and do nothing (listen, this is what I really want here).

I now have a cat, she has three legs and is named tipsy, we moved in with a few other friends into a big yellow house that smells and leaks, we've put a few maintenance requests in, but I love it so much. Its so homey and full of love (most of the time) but it really feels like home with a heck ton of Christmas lights and command hooks.

Until next time (I'm not sure when that's going to be)
Bassooner or Later!
Emily Mastenbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment