Monday, March 2, 2020

What to play?

Michael and I played the Mozart Sonata for bassoon and cello (or Euphonium - el bombardino) last year on my recital and we were joking that for his recital this year we would play the same thing but switch parts so we would play it two years in a row... but in reality it would be three due to Kathy's recital where I played the lower part LOL!

In all reality things are going very well here. We just finished our second module, celebrated by white water rafting for 5 hours and trashing our muscles while having a blast, and began our third module. I am taking Latin American Civilization and Culture. I've only had one class but it's amazing so far! We had great conversations about 'what is culture.' 

I'm coming to a point in my life where I'm going to have to make some big decisions soon... but I can wait at least until December, to apply to grad school. I want in the worst way to live and play bassoon in Spain for the rest of my life, but I have to get into school there first. While I'm in Costa Rica I'm preparing and studying with Isabel. She recently brought to me the Fasch Sonate in C major, and I LOVE IT! She also showed me a technical studies book by her old professor at the University of Kansas, Alan Hawkins. It's quite a handy book and really plays tricks on your finger brains by presenting an etude in C major, but could also be played in C# major, Cb Major, G Major and Gb Major. On the cover it's priced at $7.50, I looked it up to possibly purchase from TrevCo (fantastic company by the late Eric Varner) it was $35 :( 

I'm trying to practice more while I'm here to become a bassoon titan... one day
EM






2 comments:

  1. It would be fun to see the two of you play your instruments together

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s quite funny! I’ll see if I can find the video from my recital.

    ReplyDelete